Sunday, September 26, 2010

2010 OTEN Inspiration Conference

I attended the 2010 OTEN Inspiration Conference at Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon.  I found it to be interesting.  You can find a link to my comments here if the Yodio embedding below does not work properly for you.







Overall, I thought it was a very useful conference.  I attended "World of Warcraft:  Social constructivism in a virtual world and applications to the real world" and "Visual Learning with Concept Maps".  I thought both presentations were interesting and the presentation about concept maps had a lot of very useful information.  I was a little disappointed in the depth of knowledge that the presenter had about the concept mapping programs that he was presenting to us.  I asked fairly simple questions about ways that the maps could be distributed and he was unable to answer them about any of the programs. 

As unimpressed as I think I've sounded to this point, I do want to emphasize that the concept of this conference is incredibly important.  Educators need many ways and many forums to stay current and share educational applications of the rapidly expanding realm of web based computing.  My hope is that, as the OTEN conference continues to grow and evolve that it can become something great and a real source of inspiration and knowledge for the educational community.

Until later...

1 comment:

  1. Hit and miss on quality of presenters at any conference. If you were able to bring back but a few gems, it's always time well spent. And it sounds like you did.

    ReplyDelete